Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Tall Tale?

So our neighbor was having a BBQ in the common area of our condos this past weekend, and she printed out her evite for us. I think she mostly just wanted to inform us that it would be happening, but we stopped by to say hello. The group was probably, on average, about 6 years older than my roommate and I, but we brought some beer over and started chatting with some of her guests. A group of women stopped me and asked how tall I was. (btw, this question can be its own topic on another day) I told them 6'3, and they started talking about how annoying it is when short girls date really tall guys. (this can also be its own topic, as I feel very strongly about this issue) Well the woman that brought that up was all of 5'8, maybe. All the sudden she interrupts me and says. "are you sure you are 6'3? Because I have friends that are only 6 foot, and you don't look as tall as them." I said thanks for not thinking I look like a giant, and then we continued the previous conversation. After about 5 minutes the same woman interrupted me again to ask AGAIN if I was really 6'3. She asked a total of 3 times before I finally had to walk away.

Was she serious with that really?! I mean I've been this tall since the 10th grade, and I hit the 6 foot mark in 7th. It has taken me a looooong time to accept this height and wear heels and be confident, and for this woman to accuse me of lying about my height really pissed me off! I don't know if she usually hangs around midgets and was upset that she wasn't the tallest in the group or what, but why would I lie about my height. When you're a woman and you reach 6 feet, past that is a little excessive and I doubt anyone would be trying to add extra inches to an already "jolly green" stature. I don't know why it bothered me so much, but it did. And if I see her around again I may pull out a measuring tape just to piss her off....

No comments:

Post a Comment