Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I'm practically 30!! (gasp)

Folks, my little bro moved out of mom's house and into his very own dorm today! Well obviously not his very own, as he will be sharing it with two other freshman gentlemen. But the point of this is that I am now officially old! I made a comment about this on my facebook this morning and I have gotten so many comments from high school friends agreeing with me. When we were in HS, my bro was a short, chubby, funny LITTLE kid that ran around while we were doing important, HS things. (Like learning every NSYNC and Britney dance, le duh.) And now he is a 6'5, lean, 18 year old starting college? Not possible. How did the time go by so fast?

Also adding to my down slope to 30, how much things have changed since I moved my happy, naive ass into Jester Dormitory. First off, I shared a bathroom with about 2 million girls. (It felt like that anyways.) He gets a "suite", (I haven't visited yet, but by his description I don't think he was ready for this kind of suite) so he is sharing the room with 2 other boys instead of just one. Yesterday while we were shopping for manly college boy decorations, (he was not open to my suggestion of a giant frame that said "FAMILY" filled with pictures of me, go figure) he informed me of this roommate situation. My first comment was, "did you Facebook them?" Naturally, he had. As do I when I hear/meet/find out about a new person. But then I thought about it and realized that Facebook didn't even exist when I started college!! Aging-3 vs Me-0. I'm losing this battle quickly.

When I found out who my roommate was, I was given her phone number (imagine that) and I called her up to introduce myself. Then I ended up switching and rooming with a girl I met at orientation, after we realized we went to the same basketball camp as kids. But still, I didn't know her. So I eagerly awaited move-in day when I would meet my new roommate and learn all about her. It was so exciting. Now back to my bro.... Once he Facebooked these newbies and requested their online friendship he practically knew their whole existence!! I may be over exaggerating just a tad, but seriously. He knows where they went to high school, whether or not they have girlfriends, what they do for fun, what sports they play, how many brothers and sisters they have, etc. I mean, they will show up today and know 80% of each others' lives. Can you imagine?!?! Those poor boys probably already perused my bro's profile and have crushes on me (le duh, why wouldn't they). Now I'm going to have to be careful when I bust in on their new digs this weekend.... (j/k)

But how crazy is this to you all? Is it just me, or does this make you feel ancient? I'm sure once I visit the new (mini) casa it will make me feel a little better, as I've heard it looks even older than mom. (kidding mommy) To be honest, I'm actually scared for him to live on his own!! I'll let everyone know how the visit goes. I'm sure he will be super excited to have his (awesome!!) big sis as one of his first visitors, I know I can't wait!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I asked my brother the same thing! He's starting college this weekend.

    How times have changed.

    //A.J.

    ReplyDelete